Monday, March 11, 2013

Recorder Station

It's that time of year, some music teachers LOVE it, and others can feel their ears bleeding just anticipating the time.. that time would be Recorders for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.  For me? it's bittersweet.  I love that the 3rd graders are SO EXCITED to play their own instruments!  They can't wait, and are so proud to complete the recorder karate belts. However, once they are in 5th grade, they have realized the recorder is insanely out of tune, and significantly less thrilling than it was 2 years ago... that's when they start exaggerating with all of the strange sounds they can make.

Despite all of that, recorder organization can be tough!  This year, my awesome co-teacher found me this great roll-y cart that I can move around my room and keep the kiddos recorder bins secure to.  Lucky for me, I have two 3rd grades, 1 fourth, and 1 fifth (aside from 1 shared) that all fit perfectly on the cart.  Leaving room at the bottom of the cart for an "extra" clean recorder bin and dirty recorder bin for those days the kiddos forget their recorder.

See pictures below!
I added fabric to the recorder bins this year.  The bins are old, and get dusty and gross so easily. The fabric helps the bin to provide a nicer 'resting place' for the recorders, as well as look cute!  Any additional way that I can add a bit of color to my room, I do!

A front view.  All of the bins are labeled with their teachers names. 5th and 4th are always on top, 3rd in the middle, and clean & dirty bin down below.  Kids remember that the bin with the cloth is the 'extra' bin and the bin without is the dirty bin. The cloth also helps to absorb extra moisture that the recorders have, vs. sitting in mildew water drops in the hard bins.

clean/dirty bins
A month into use, the recorder bins are still holding strong!  They fit the kiddos folders as well as their recorders really well.  I will also take the opportunity to reward students who take the time to 'straighten up' the recorder bin (see the one on the right).



No comments:

Post a Comment