Monday, March 11, 2013

Irish Potatoes

It's that time of year - time to let my Irish shine!!  I may be a mut, but I am proud of my Irish heritage (McCarthy - my Gram's maiden name), and my partially Irish family!  In light of all of that, I was lucky enough to grow up in PA where Irish Potato candy were common.  After moving to MD, I learned that it was definitely a regional treat, seeing as NOBODY knew what they were! I took it upon myself to share the rich-coconut-y goodness with everyone below the mason dixon line.  Well, friends and co-workers that is.

Happy St. Patty's Week!

What you need:
4 cups confectioners sugar
6 oz softened margarine or butter (I used 'I cant believe it's not butter').
6 oz fat free cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups of coconut
Cinnamon(as much as you need to roll the potatoes in!)

How to:
Combine the margarine or butter with the cream cheese.  Gradually add the confectioners sugar (do not dump in all at once, it is a lot).  I used a folding technique, or at least constantly pull the butter & cream cheese from the bottom.  If it seems too dry, you may want to add the remaining cream cheese & butter. Add the vanilla, stir.  Add the coconut & combine - you may want to use your hands for this.

In a sandwich sized tupper-ware container, pour approx. a 1/4 of cinnamon OR to save cinnamon, start off with 3 tbsp.  Roll the creamy mixture into a ball, drop into the cinnamon, toss in the cinnamon, reshape into a ball if it lost its shape and place on prepared pan.

Place and store potatoes in the fridge.  You want to keep them cold so that they hold their shape.

These are very rich and delicious, enjoy!!  This recipe yields approx. 40 potatoes.

WW Friends: If you use regular butter, and regular cream cheese with the rest of the ingredients, it will yield 3 points plus points per 1 potato.  I used margarine & fat free cream cheese, and it results in 2 points plus points per 1 potato.  Small adjustment, but hey 2 is better than 3!

Enjoy - Jack =)

No comments:

Post a Comment