Monday, March 18, 2013

Homemade Marinara


What a rainy disgusting day... but really, what a rainy disgusting day.  If it's going to rain and sleet and randomly snow, you should at least get a delay right? Thanks weather, you're awful.

On that note - IT'S TIME FOR WARM COZY FOOD!  Meaning my homemade red wine marinara sauce (to accompany my chickey/turken balls of course).  I've been making this sauce since the fall, but I keep on making adjustments and modifications, and I think I have finally found the almost perfect marinara for us!

What you need:
-1 tbsp Olive Oil
-3 cloves fresh Garlic
-1 tbsp Onion Powder
-3 oz Red Wine (try to keep it dry vs. sweet - I used Cupcake Red Velvet because that's what I have open!)
-26 oz can Crushed Tomatoes in Italian Seasonings
-8 oz can Tomato Sauce
-2 tbsp Tomato Paste
-1 tbsp Basil
-1 tsp Parsley
-1 tsp Oregano
-1 tsp Sea Salt (or to taste)
-1 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
-1 tbsp Locatelli Parmesan Romano Cheese

How to:
In a medium/large skillet with walls & a lid, heat olive oil & chopped garlic over medium heat.  Once it simmers, add onion powder, stir and simmer for approx. 1 min.  Add the wine and mix well.

Add the tomato paste and whisk ingredients (be patient with the paste).  Simmer approx 1 minute.  Turn the heat down to medium low.  Add the tomato sauce and let sit for approx. 2 minutes (should still be simmering).
Add the crushed tomatoes and seasonings.  Mix ingredients well.  Now is the time to add any meatballs or sausage that you have so that the flavors can mingle (I added my Chickey Balls to the sauce).  Let simmer on medium low for about 10 more minutes.

When you are almost ready to serve, add the Locatelli cheese and mix well.

Serve over pasta and enjoy!

Yields approx. 8 servings.

I served mine over Barilla Veggie Pasta.  It was SO GOOD.  We were iffy because it was an orange-ish color, and was a combination of veggies, however it had a nice flavor to it, and Kyle said he even liked it better than the Whole Grain/Wheat Pasta.  Plus, it offers 1 serving of Veggies!

WW Friends: I estimated a serving to be approx 1/2 cup of sauce which yields 2 Points Plus points. (YAY! - way less than jarred pasta)
Also - in case you are interested - the Chickey balls are 2 points a piece, and the Barilla pasta worked out to 5 points for 1/6 of the pasta (i guesstimated how much I had)

Enjoy! - Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment