Monday, March 4, 2013

A Snow Day? + Coconut Curry Shrimp

Apparently our state is supposed to get hammered by this snow storm on Wednesday. IF that's the case, I plan on doing some serious blogging.  I'm talking music classroom ideas, as well as baking Black Bean Brownies (yes, black beans, in the brownies), and some healthied-up muffins!  In between a Harry Potter marathon day with my main squeeze, of course.

All of this will only be possible though if we are granted a snow day through the grace of mother nature.  So let's start TONIGHT and wear our pj's inside out and backwards, and of course do the snow dance.

On a different note, Kyle & I enjoyed Coconut Curry Shrimp, a WW recipe that I have once again added a few of my own touches to.  I serve it with brown rice and tonight we had fresh steamed Green Beans (yum!).  It's a nice, light refreshing meal, something that I look forward to enjoying on our deck in the spring & summer!

Coconut Curry Shrimp
What you need:
1 lb fresh peeled shrimp (I go for the most inexpensive shrimp that Wegmans has available!)
1 can Coconut Milk
1 1/2 tsp Thai Green Curry Paste
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Onion Powder*
1 tsp Salt to taste
3 cups Brown Rice Cooked (follow cooking inst. on box)
*The original recipe calls for fennel but I substitute onion powder for Kyle.

How To:
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add olive oil, curry paste & curry powder.  Using a spoon mix well over the heat until it is sizzling.  Add in onion powder and salt until ingredients seem blended. Add coconut milk and gently whisk ingredients together.  Cover and simmer for 5 minutes so that ingredients can mix.
Add shrimp to the simmering sauce.  Simmer until sauce is cooked.  Serve shrimp & sauce over brown rice.  As I said, I prefer to also serve it with fresh veggies as a side for zero points!
WW Friends: This works out to approximately 8 points per serving which means: 3/4 cup of rice, 5-6 shrimp & approx. 2 tablespoons of the sauce.  I add 1 can of coconut milk vs a 1/2 cup since Kyle LOVES to add sauce to his plate.  I still go by the 8 point measurements on the WW points plus system for a serving.

I also added the Thai curry paste to the recipe, it adds more of the curry flavor that we love.

Enjoy! -Jack =)

No comments:

Post a Comment