Monday, June 16, 2014

Paleo Life

Hi!

Well I guess you could call me just about the least-consistent person to ever walk the planet, but I am assuming that there are many others WAY more inconsistent than I am, so it makes me feel better.

Well, Weight Watchers has officially been cancelled. It's embarrassing, and it makes me mad, and I'm not saying that "I failed" because if I do I'll feel mad at myself, instead I'm taking the approach that it just didn't work for me this second time around.  Last spring everything clicked and I lost like crazy. This spring? I just couldn't handle the tracking, having to "eyeball" everything, I got lazy AND I allowed myself too many "cheats".

I fell into the typical female "why me?.. why do I have to go through this weight struggle", and then I realize that my problems are petty and nothing compared to life that other people have to go through. I can overcome this. My mom reminded me, I'm a go-getter.  If I set goals for myself I thrive while trying to achieve them. Academically? check. Trying to get a job, or earn a position somewhere? Check!  I really can motivate myself. Eating healthy and working out? No check. The motivation is a struggle for me, and I can't figure out why. But again, moms being awesome, she reminded me it's there, I just need to PUSH myself, and FIGHT for what I want, and how I want to feel.

Over the past few months I've heard more and more about the "Caveman" diet or the Paleo diet.  It sounded completely ridiculous, and nothing I would ever be disciplined enough to try, and my mom agreed.  Well, a few weeks ago, my mom and dad started it. My mom was unhappy with how she felt, and somehow while recovering from a stomach virus, it all clicked, and she knew she needed a change. Over that whole week I was amazed at the drastic change her and my dad made to their daily diets, and began working out again.  I was feeling motivated by her choice, to workout, to do something... did I do anything? NO!

Well that Saturday my mom sent me my very own "Practical Paleo" book by Diane Sanfilippo.  It was one of the best 'gifts' she's ever given me.  I feel refreshed and motivated.  It came at a great time as school was ending, and I am able to dive in full force to trying new recipes, and new styles of eating.

So here is what I've learned so far: Paleo diet is NOT the caveman diet (there actually is a caveman diet, that I COULD NOT do).  Paleo is all about eating fresh, whole foods. No processed crap (to put it lightly).  It is all about eating a ton of vegetables, protein, and some fruit.  Embrace the good fats for you.  Carbs? gone. Dairy? Gone. Is it difficult? SURE... I love some pasta and some ice cream (mmmm Turkey Hill).  However I've learned that Paleo is a lifestyle choice, you are choosing to eat organic and to eat foods that are good for your body, NOT just your waistline.  I am eating more veggies than I think I've ever eaten, not being a natural veggie-lover.  I also have learned that it's OK if you need to cheat every once and a while, but not like in weight watchers where I OK'd the constant cheating.

I do have to say, I refused to give up wine. I love my wine. Do I drink 5 glasses a night? No. Some nights I don't even have any, but I told myself, I have decided not to eat (not given up) so many other things, that I am deciding to continue to drink wine.

If you are feeling in a rut, and feeling adventurous I highly encourage exploring the Paleo lifestyle. Diane Sanfilippo does a beautiful job of being relatable and realistic.  Do I buy everything organic? no. Am I moving in that direction? Kind of.  But so far after only a week I am already feeling successful and proud of myself.

I will try to stay on top of this blog, as I still find it motivating and kind of a 'release'.  I still recognize my inability to write in a 'good' way, and frankly I'm not very interesting, but again, I like doing this for myself.

Now I need to go check on my Paleo Sausage-Egg-Veggie cups for breakfast!

I will still periodically try to post recipes, and things that I have created to compliment the Paleo lifestyle.

For now, Happy Summer!

Love Always - Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment