Sunday, March 16, 2014

Accidental Clams & Chard

Happy Almost-Spring!!
Chirp.
and....
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!
I like to think that spring is right around the corner, and then I look at our forecast of SNOW for tomorrow.  There are worse things in the world, but I am REALLY looking forward to St. Patty's Day.  Tomorrow (or Tuesday) I get to keep up the tradition of the Irish Jig Competition, started by my fabulous predecessor, and I am so excited to experience my first one.  Even if we have snow, it will happen on Tuesday, or it will happen with our delay, but I am so sick of this snow! I JUST WANT SPRING... this is coming from the girl who complains in July that she wants Fall & snow.. I guess this is karma?

So last night, Kyle and I decided to have a romantic dinner night - which usually means we are going to eat some fatty pasta & seafood.  And guess what? We did!  I made this fabulous, fabulous pasta from The Pioneer Woman (love her).  It included sautéing searing shrimp & scallops, then cooking diced tomatoes in the same skillet.  Meanwhile only 1/2 cooking the pasta.  Then put the pasta on top of aluminum foil in a large baking dish, dump the tomato "sauce" on top, add all the seafood, fold up the aluminum foil and BAKE.  Finish off with some warm cream & basil.  It was probably the most amazing seafood pasta recipe I've made. Normally Kyle & I die for Alfredo - but this one stole my heart last night.  I highly recommend!
beautiful!
Here, let me pass this through the computer.
Well, just having this pasta was simply not enough.  A few weeks ago a super-friendly Wegmans employee was helping us with seafood and started to divulge into his familys rich-Italian heritage and how they all loved cooking together.  He started talking about making clams, and how tomato sauce vs. alfredo sauce enhances the seafood flavor much more.  I tried to remember everything he said, and created my Accidental Coupe Clams!  They were delicious. I can't take full credit for this recipe - because it was you, Mr. Wegmans-Employee that truly inspired this!

What you need:
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes
Clams (we used 3/4 lb - you could do 1 lb with this recipe too)
5 'smashed' cloves of garlic
1 cup white wine
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 fresh basil leaves torn apart (fresh really makes the flavor)

How to:
Thoroughly wash and drain all claims.  I like to scrub off their shells a little bit just to eliminate any extra grit.
To a large pot melt the butter & olive oil over medium heat.  Add the 'smashed garlic and simmer for about 30 seconds.  What I mean by smashed is peel the clove & then lay your knife horizontally flat across the garlic, and smash your fist down on top of the side of the knife "smashing" the clove beneath.  I guess this is also considered "crushed" garlic.  This way you are releasing the flavor, but keeping the cloves whole.

Add white wine and let it simmer for about a minute.  Add the red pepper flakes  & diced tomatoes.  Let this simmer for a few minutes until the ingredients have married (hey! I'm getting married too!!!!).

Add the clams & let it simmer until the clams have popped open.  This should only take a few minutes.  Pour everything into a serving dish.  Sprinkle with the basil.  We ate ours with some breadsticks/rolls - that way we could soak up the juice.  I would also recommend serving this on bruschette toasts!
Accidental Clams!
(I don't have the weight watchers points for this.  It shouldn't be too high - if you are worried about points, feel free to use 'light' butter instead of regular butter!  The white wine may also drive the points up.  But hey, we all need a date night!).

Okay so next - Kyle decided to branch out and try some Swiss Chard in his 'juices' this week instead of Kale.
I looked up how to store chard and it was very different than Kale.  Chard should NOT be exposed to water pre-storing (unfortunately wegmans had been spraying them off with the misty water).  So I laid all of the chard out on a towel & patted them dry with a paper towel.  I know I could have let them air-dry, I just wanted them off my counter!
This is vibrant healthy chard! You do not want yellow'd or brown chard.

Next, when they are dry, store them in a plastic bag. (I like to date my containers so I know when it was packaged).
Then squeeze ALL the air that you can out of the bag.  Mine looked kind of vacuum-sealed!  This should keep the chard fresh for approx. 5 days.
Leo was all up in that Chard's business
The website I used said another option is to blanch the chard, then freeze it.  If this method doesn't work this week, I may try to blanch and freeze next week.  Fun!

Also - on the note of fresh herbs - just wanted to say that my Parsley has stayed healthy for about 2 weeks! Some of it did start to yellow, but I was able to go through and 'clean out', and I still have a small mason jar full of beautiful healthy parsley!
Apparently Leo had to see for himself. Go ahead, cat, BURY your face... Great idea.
Enjoy! - Jack =)

No comments:

Post a Comment