Saturday, July 12, 2014

Embarking on a Challenge

Hi All!

So this week I embark on a Challenge.  Kyle and I always work at our music camp for a week back at our college.  This week is always a FABULOUS time however, it means eating college cafeteria food 3 times a day.  Normally I would look forward to the week of chicken fingers with buffalo ranch, lasagna, Etown carrot cake, the ice cream machine.. but this year I've been dreading it.  I am finally hooked on something healthy. I LOVE this paleo lifestyle, and I love the fact that I've started to incorporate running and working out into my routine as well.  I feel like I am gaining control of my life, and I feel like if I went to that cafeteria, I would gain all of it back + some in a week.

So I did some thinking, and I committed to bringing all of my own food for the week.  I started saving leftovers in the freezer over the past couple of weeks, and planning out meals.  I made myself a chart, figured out I had about 18-20 meals I needed to be prepared for.  I knew I didn't want to do a lot of cooking, because lets face it, once you're out of college, college living looks pretty disgusting.  I planned out food that could easily be reheated in a microwave or on the stove.  I planned lunches that can be stored in mason jars (vs. salads that would be great, but tough to keep fresh throughout the week).  I need a lot of grab and go.

When I get back I will post about how it all went, and what a lot of the choices i went for.  I discovered a lot of recipes too that will be great for during the school year.  There is a Banana Vanilla Bean N'Oatmeal (non oatmeal) that I cannot wait to devour. It's like a custard-y chia filled delight.  This is from Diane Sanfilippo's 21 day sugar diet book, but she luckily posted it on her balancedbites blog for all to see.  I also tore up some rotisserie chickens and am going to bring a ton of veggies to cut up for veggie sticks - ie: carrots & cucumbers.

In addition, despite exhaustion I am going to TRY MY HARDEST to get out an run throughout camp. I won't be unrealistic and say it will happen every day, but I want to try to at least get out 4-5 days within the week.

PS I'm still floating around the number I hit last week - which is great! Considering we had a Carabba's cheat-night (thank you student given gift cards).  I am confident and feeling great. PLUS I just rocked a pair of pants last night that were way too small to wear last summer. Let's have a big GO ME. Always remember to be your own cheerleader. If you don't support yourself, you'll never be able to believe in yourself.
Just love him!
Wish me luck!

Love always - Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment