Sunday, April 21, 2013

Tough Mudder

I know lately I've JUST been posting about Food, and lacking on the teaching, but I feel obligated to make a post about tough mudder.  I was thinking about it last night, and this ridiculous, rigorous, stupid mud-run has become a big part of my life.  As a tough mudder Alumni (frederick '12), I can wear my orange headband proud, and say that I survived one of these runs.
Kyle barreling through the Electric Shocks @ the Finish Line 
Back in the fall of 2010, Kyle and a bunch of his track teammates went to NJ to do a tough mudder.  No clue what it was, just hoped he came back alive!! He did, and had an awesome time. He told me how much fun it was, and he already wanted to do another one.  I couldn't believe it!  He ended up running another one in the Spring of 2011 up in Allentown PA at a Ski resort (yikes) where I spectated with one of my friends.  As crazy as everything looked, and as scary as everything looked, I couldn't help but find it exhilarating.

Wyatt & Mike going into the Ice Enema
Sure enough, last spring, Kyle started to get the itch again, and he and some of our friends were going to create a team for the Tri-State mudder in Frederick MD.  Stacey and I for some crazy reason agreed. I did train hard, but not hard enough.  Thank god I had an amazing team to help me through the whole way.  It was something I'll never forget!  It was muddy, and disgusting, and I had bruises in places I didn't think I could bruise, I had scrapes in places I should NOT have scrapes, and I couldn't move for about 5 days.  But I did.  11 Miles and 20+ obstacles. We did it.

Phil also barreling through the ElectricShock
Kyle beasting over the Fire
Yesterday my cousin & I went and spectated Tough Mudder in West Virginia, and it was one of the craziest and toughest courses I've seen so far in Mudder.  I would consider this (aside from the 24 hour time frame) a more difficult course than World's Toughest Mudder.  This was also a tough spectator course as well because Stacey and I had to climb up and down hills in order to try to keep up with our friends participating. Needless to say I was glad I did not run that course yesterday.

However, we both took yesterday as a motivator, and want to complete another Tough Mudder and train our butts off.  I am aiming for New Jersey in October.  Will it be cold? yes. But will it be worth it? Yes. Let's do this.
Going up and over out of the water

No comments:

Post a Comment