Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hot & Sweet Tilapia Soft Tacos

Summer to me means: margaritas, and SEAFOOD
I know I said my next post would be pasta, but I am too excited about this one to NOT blog about it tonight.  If you say that you aren't dreaming of summer right now, you're a liar.  Time off, beach time, beautiful weather, bright clothes, nice wedges, MARGARITAS and deliciously light food!  Nothing says summer more to me than seafood (hence the CoupeFam Seafood Fest), so put together some hot & spicy yet sweet & savory fish tacos? I'm in heaven!
I pulled from a WW mahi mahi fish taco recipe, Madrone's fish tacos, as well as my own imagination!  I'm not trying to brag and talk about how great and creative I am, but I just love experimenting and coming up with new and successful ideas - so, likewise, I am very excited about these fish tacos!  Fish tacos are my new found love as of January (random, I know - thank you Brewer's Alley), so to create my own is very exciting at this very moment!

Broccoli Slaw
What you need:
2 cups Broccoli Slaw mix (I used Wegmans Organic)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white sugar
1 tbsp mayo (I just used regular)
2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro

How to:
Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl and stir well.  Refrigerate for approx. 20 minutes prior to serving. Serve on Fish Tacos (see below).

Fish Tacos
What you need:
1 lb Tilapia Filets (approx 2 large filets cut in half)
2 tbsp chopped Ginger Root
1/3 cup fresh Lime juice
2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar

2 cups Broccoli Slaw (see above)
1 cup Shredded Lettuce (I just used shredded 'berg)
8 tsp Mango Sauce (to be divided amongst each taco)
4 tsp Hot Wing Sauce (to be divided amongst each taco)
1 lime cut into 4 wedges
8 white corn tortillas

How to:
Set the oven to Broil and put the rack either in the middle or second from the top (do not put it right up against the broiler).

Combine ginger, lime juice, brown sugar & cilantro in a large ziploc bag. Shake well to combine ingredients. Add tilapia and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.

Place tilapia filets ideally on a broiler pan (I don't have a pan so I just used a baking sheet and did not place right under broiler).  Cover with remaining marinade.
Broil on each side for approx. 5 minutes or until the middle of the fish is opaque.

Lay out tortillas and divide fish equally amongst all 8 tortillas.  Divide broccoli slaw into 1/4 cup servings on each taco.  Next Divide lettuce among tortillas.  Drizzle with mango sauce (1 tsp per taco).  And drizzle with Hot Wing Sauce (approx. 1/2 tsp per taco unless you are feeling feisty!).  Drizzle each taco with lime juice & leave the lime as garnish.
The base - tilapia on the tortilla
completed Tacos - DROOL
WW Friends: This meal yields 2 fish tacos per serving coming in at 5 points plus points - then the broccoli slaw adds 1 point - making a 6 point FILLING dinner!
I served my tacos with 1/2 cup of hot Black Beans yielding 3 more points. (Yum!!)
Enjoy!! Jack =)

1 comment: